Hi, my name is Darren, and I’m the Director and Head of Coach and Athlete Development at OnPoint Beach Volleyball. I grew up playing basketball, baseball and indoor volleyball, but at age 19 I started playing beach volleyball and instantly fell in love with the sport! I’ve spent most of my life since then in the sand. It’s where I met my wife and it’s even where I proposed to her. There’s so much that I love about this sport: the hyper-competitive environment where at times a game to 15 will decide your tournament fate, getting to choose the partner you spend most of your summer with, no subs so you’re always in the action, spending all summer long on the beach
But more than anything now, I love being a mentor to young athletes. In 2017, I decided to start a small beach volleyball camp in Kingsville, Ontario. I wanted to have an impact on my community and create an opportunity for my kids that I didn’t have at their age. The goal has been to encourage kids in Windsor-Essex to develop into strong, world-class athletes on the beach. Five seasons later, OnPoint continues to grow to become so much more.
On the Court
- Head Coach, Team Ontario (Red and Black) 2016 – Present
- Head Coach, World 21U Championships in Thailand 2019
- Assistant Coach, World 19U Championships in Cyprus 2016
- Head Coach, Sky Volley Indoor 2017-Present
- Co-director, Kitchener-Waterloo Predators Beach Program 2013-2016
- Head Coach, Kitchener-Waterloo Predators Indoor 2011-2016
- Team Ontario Beach Assistant Coach 2014
- Child & Youth Worker, Ray of Hope & Genest Youth Detention Centres 2008-2016
Off the Court
When I’m not coaching or playing beach volleyball, you might find me at home playing with my three kids or watching football. My favourite-post game grub is a Mango Chicken Burrito from Burrito Bandidos, although now I only get to enjoy them when I’m at the Beaches in Toronto! When I look back at my coaching career so far, my favourite moment is when the 2018 Jr. Girls Team won WECSSAA missing 5 of 7 starters, eventually moving on to win SWOSSAA too! On the beach, my favourite memories have been the relationships that I have developed with athletes and coaches along the way.